collapse

* Welcome Guest

photo little flower_01.png ~ Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" or "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

Author Topic: Jobs for Americans first plan  (Read 120 times)

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
Jobs for Americans first plan
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:15:06 AM »
Let's just hope Trump can make some changes and is backed by congress to help Americans get back to work.  :beast:

President Trump plans to sign an executive order in Wisconsin on Tuesday that the White House says will make it harder for tech companies to replace American workers with cheaper foreign labor, and will strengthen rules barring foreign contractors from bidding on government projects, according to senior administration officials.

“This is the policy that ensures no one gets left behind in America anymore — that we protect our industry from unfair competition, favor the products produced by our fellow citizens and make certain that when jobs open those jobs are given to American workers first,” the White House said in a statement.

Mike Emmons, a software developer in Longwood, Florida, who was let go from Siemens ICN after training his foreign replacement in 2002, applauded Trump’s executive order.

“It was the most depressing thing I've ever been through — having to train people to do my job, only so I could get laid off,” said Emmons, 55, who now works for a Florida state agency. “After watching this for 14 years, what Trump is doing is a thousandfold better than what Bush did, or Obama or what Hillary would have done. He’s doing something for us.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/17/after-a-series-of-flip-flops-trump-prepares-to-deliver-on-a-key-campaign-pledge/?tid=pm_pop

Online lee

• Administrator
    • mood Amazed
Re: Jobs for Americans first plan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
In an ideal world everyone who wants a job would have a job. Trump campaigned on this pledge and it looks as if he intends to carry it out.

Should he go whole hog with this plan in time he will realize that protectionism works the other way too.

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 05:28:00 AM »
I hope he can find a happy medium though Lee. We need the business here to employee people. Ever since they started the trade deals we have lost our factories and jobs. Kids now days have nothing really unless they go to college. Not all kids are college material. They need something for the many people who could be working. I think that there are so many who could benefit from middle of the road factory wages to live on. We could leave the fast food jobs to the kids and have higher wages for those who want to work but don't want that college degree. I guess I'm talking about bringing back the middle class workers.
I think that if the middle class jobs were here to employee people it would perk the economy so much. We'd have less collecting on welfare due to lack of jobs. I think too, crime rates would decrease if the middle class people had something to do in their lives. Bring back a purpose for these people, a substance for them to feel like they can provide for themselves. We haven't had that kind of thing here in many years.
Is that asking for living in the real world? When I was a kid just starting out, that was an available option for me. I could make a mediocre living on a factory job if I chose too. Now my kids didn't really have those options and that makes me sad. I think too, many factory jobs can lead to skilled trade too. Something else that has also been eliminated as a choice for kids.

Let's just hope Trump can find that middle road for the middle class and that Congress will go along with it.
Besides that I'm sick to death of cheaply made China or Honduras crap. When people go shopping that's all the options we have to choose from and that's pretty dog gone sad. Where is the American made and how come there isn't more of it?

Online lee

• Administrator
    • mood Amazed
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
I hear you Jezz and know what it's like for a city to go down the tubes for lack of employment. 10 years ago people in Windsor did not ask where you worked, they asked if you were working.

Now Windsor is on the uptick but likely that will change again for the worst as manufacturing will return to the midwest USA at the expense of places like Windsor.

Seriously thinking about cashing out of our modest home before that happens.

there will always be winners and losers.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
    • http://seniorsworldwide.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
Trump may figure it'll work. Yes it'll work for some jobs.. Many American Hospitals are relying on Canadian Nurses and Doctors to staff there hospitals..so what happens here, when you can't find any qualified American Nurses to fill the spots..

Fast Food places, not ebough senior people to fill all the spots, most young people refuse to work these jobs, not enough money..

Then you have skilled trades, from what I see most young Americans don't want to get their hands dirty, they want sit down jobs and executive positions right off the start..How about the Farms, here we have a variety of different types of farms, most of the farms are staffed bu Mexicans legal and illegal..how do you get the illegal ones out..

Trump can try, but I can see many problems coming his way with this..

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
Can't blame any leader for trying to increase jobs by putting their country first, there really isn't that much free trade is there?

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
I hope when Trump discusses Free Trade he doesn't shaft Canada.. Trump has his own ideas, but I think personally there bad ideas..well most of them are bad..

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 05:16:06 AM »
Trump may figure it'll work. Yes it'll work for some jobs.. Many American Hospitals are relying on Canadian Nurses and Doctors to staff there hospitals..so what happens here, when you can't find any qualified American Nurses to fill the spots..

Fast Food places, not ebough senior people to fill all the spots, most young people refuse to work these jobs, not enough money..

Then you have skilled trades, from what I see most young Americans don't want to get their hands dirty, they want sit down jobs and executive positions right off the start..How about the Farms, here we have a variety of different types of farms, most of the farms are staffed bu Mexicans legal and illegal..how do you get the illegal ones out..

Trump can try, but I can see many problems coming his way with this..
Hospitals have always been short on nurses. I don't know why, the wait list to get into the nursing program is very long. I think that has to do with the colleges though.
I agree the kids these days are afraid to get there hands dirty. Stepping to those higher paid jobs is not an option. Climbing the ladder like everyone else is and should be the reality.
The free trade laws eliminated the mindset of the middle class. For skilled trade school has been shut down. So when you see jobs posted and they want skilled trade people there aren't many who have those skills.
We have fast food jobs across America and medical jobs. Fast food isn't providing for families so they've tried to increase the pay scale for minimum wages. Those jobs were never meant to support a family on. But Americans don't have a choice.
Then many of the medical jobs are saturated and kids out of college haven't many job opportunities. All except for nursing where they say is there is a lack of.
So where does that leave the rest of those needing jobs?
America free trade has create lifeless welfare people and crime. With people having no where else to go. It's has caused  this huge increase in welfare recipients.  Trump, imo, sees that and congress knows this. It is a huge deficit for government.

I really do think most people will welcome jobs if they come to town. Most people really don't want to sit back and collect welfare of they don't have too. They've had too for too many years. Time for change. Time to bring back middle class jobs.
Bringing back jobs isn't going to eliminate trade with other countries, imo. It will even out the flow of money's for Americans though. Can't blame Trump for trying to even out the flow of the trade and keep businesses from running overseas with our jobs. Americans who need to work.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
Sorry Jezz, I just can't see Trump's idea of eliminating Free Trade..In Canada we had Chrysler and GM and Ford's well before the free trade agreements..

Companies are still moving to Mexico regardless of Trump is saying that he has stopped certain companies from moving.. You are not going to get the American workers, working for a piddly little amount of money, this is why Mexico comes into effect, very cheap wages..and no benefits to pay out..

I can not see the major automotive companies willing to go along with Trump..Trump may thing like a business man, but not a politician..he may think he can save all the American jobs or bring them back to America, but I feel Trump has a pipe dream..the only people going to get hurt are the American workers and the American manufacturers.

Offline Phillip

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
How did this go from this in the opening post.

"President Trump plans to sign an executive order in Wisconsin on Tuesday that the White House says will make it harder for TECH companies to replace American workers with cheaper foreign labor, and will STRENGTHEN RULES BARRING FOREIGN CONTRACTORS from bidding on government projects, according to senior administration officials."

To protectionism, nurses & doctors & old people at fast food places?

The intent is clear isn't it?

"“This is the policy that ensures no one gets left behind in America anymore — that we protect our industry from unfair competition, favor the products produced by our fellow citizens and make certain that when jobs open those jobs are given to American workers first,” the White House said in a statement."

American workers first doesn't totally exclude foreign workers does it? Words make a differance. If the sentence used "only" in place of "first" that would be a totally differant concept.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
How did this go from this in the opening post.

"President Trump plans to sign an executive order in Wisconsin on Tuesday that the White House says will make it harder for TECH companies to replace American workers with cheaper foreign labor, and will STRENGTHEN RULES BARRING FOREIGN CONTRACTORS from bidding on government projects, according to senior administration officials."

To protectionism, nurses & doctors & old people at fast food places?

The intent is clear isn't it?

"“This is the policy that ensures no one gets left behind in America anymore — that we protect our industry from unfair competition, favor the products produced by our fellow citizens and make certain that when jobs open those jobs are given to American workers first,” the White House said in a statement."

American workers first doesn't totally exclude foreign workers does it? Words make a differance. If the sentence used "only" in place of "first" that would be a totally differant concept.

Yea, that would be me Phil..Guess I got excited with the name Trump, set my bells off..

Know what would be a good idea, seeing you can pick out the odd balls like me, that post off topic, maybe you could be a Global Moderator, this way you could "Edit" the post/s of members like me and others also.. Think about it Phil, and let me know.. (Ron.)

Offline Phillip

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
I was asked a long time ago to be a moderator. I don't have the time or inclination to decide what others can do or say in this forum.

I enjoy reading and pointing out things others post.  I've always thought that by participating and presenting a contrary view at times others get the chance to counter my opinion.

I look forward to contrary opinions because that is what makes a forum interesting.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
I was asked a long time ago to be a moderator. I don't have the time or inclination to decide what others can do or say in this forum.

I enjoy reading and pointing out things others post.  I've always thought that by participating and presenting a contrary view at times others get the chance to counter my opinion.

I look forward to contrary opinions because that is what makes a forum interesting.

OK fair enough..

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
Sorry Jezz, I just can't see Trump's idea of eliminating Free Trade..In Canada we had Chrysler and GM and Ford's well before the free trade agreements..

Companies are still moving to Mexico regardless of Trump is saying that he has stopped certain companies from moving.. You are not going to get the American workers, working for a piddly little amount of money, this is why Mexico comes into effect, very cheap wages..and no benefits to pay out..

I can not see the major automotive companies willing to go along with Trump..Trump may thing like a business man, but not a politician..he may think he can save all the American jobs or bring them back to America, but I feel Trump has a pipe dream..the only people going to get hurt are the American workers and the American manufacturers.
I don't think Trump will rid of free trade, just change it if he can to help Business stay in America and help people with jobs.
All this won't happen unless congress agrees of course. Whatever or however the free trade was written it's caused a hell of a decline for America.

Offline Phillip

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
The acronym NAFTA isn't solely about Canada. Ronald makes a strong point about jobs & manufacturing going to Mexico. Trump reviewing NAFTA and wanting to balance trade takes into account the point Ronald made. IMO the best way to solve a problem is to rcognize there is one. From there the choice is "do nothing" or work towards undoing the cause.

I doubt that Trump expects to undo each and every facet of the trade agreements I suspect he will have economic advisors sort thru that parts & pieces that work for America & it's trading partners.

Trade is not the only obstacle Trump faces, like all presidents facing voters getting congress to generate legislation affecting union membership is difficult if not impossible.

This 3min & 33 second video ends with recognizing the UAW as a foe of how manufacturing in other countries can be done. Missing in this video that I've seen in another I can't find is how the work force rotates employees around work stations. That has the benefit of reducing boredom and puts employees in the position for advancement when advancement opportunities arise.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
NAFTA I believe doesn't helps Canada or America all that much. Both Countries always had working conditions, and good paying jobs..

I believe NAFTA is more help to Mexico than, America or Canada..and because of this the bulk of manufacturing jobs went to Mexico..Cheap labour no benefits, lousy work conditions, what more can a manufacturing business ask for..

Her is a little about NAFTA: http://www.naftanow.org/

When I was employed, I was in the skilled trade group of Mold Makers manufacturing, we made plastic injection molds and blow moulds, and compression molds..We were part of the NAFTA agreement, we got most of our material from America, like the steel, and mold components..Then out molds were shipped to the US and Mexico duty free.

Not to many of our molds were sent directly to the automotive manufactures themselves, but to small and large feeder plants.. Unbelievable the locations of some of these plants.. I was the one involved in delivering these molds to these shops. I can recall delivering some small molds to farms in America that have a injection molding machine setup in a barn..

We also sent a lot of production molds to Mexico, we also sent our technicians for service calls, our feedback was the working conditions were deplorable, and these same technicians refused to return to Mexico for further service calls..

If it is this deplorable, why do the automotive companies send and setup factories there..because they can save money for the manufacturing company, as long as they get there product made who cares.. If we were to keep all these manufacturing jobs in America and Canada, these same auto manufacturing companies would go broke, paying out high wages a top benefits..workers earn between $28 to $38 dollars per hour, or roughly $70.00 with benefits, in Mexico the worker is paid 90 pesos or roughly $5.64 with benefits $8.00

I wish Pres. Trump the best in trying to fix this.

SWW Information

Come on hop onboard!

Cookie Policy ~ Copyright Policy ~ Forum Rules ~ SWW BBCodes ~ Contact Us

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included. © 2015 ~ 2017 seniorsworldwide.net All rights reserved.

* Recent Posts

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by Selena
[Today at 03:12:45 PM]

[Today at 03:06:23 PM]

Re: Limericks by lee
[Today at 02:59:18 PM]

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by lee
[Today at 02:55:07 PM]

[Today at 02:43:53 PM]