collapse

* Welcome Guest

photo little flower_01.png ~ Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" or "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

Author Topic: Trump Free Trade and Canadian Dairy  (Read 148 times)

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
Trump Free Trade and Canadian Dairy
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
Trump is going on about trade and the Canadian dairy industry but he seems to forget that the U.S. dairy industry is heavily subsidized, part of the reason their dairy is much cheaper than ours.

Having said that, we would be more competitive and dairy would be cheaper eventually if we got rid of the diary marketing/quota system.

http://Http://globalnews.ca/news/3386737/trump-trade-canada-supply-management-system-dairy/

Last week, Trump received a letter from four U.S. dairy industry groups – the National Milk Producers Federation, the U.S. Dairy Export Council, the International Dairy Foods Association and the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture – that accused Canada of violating its trade commitments to the U.S.

“Time and again Canada has demonstrated its disregard of its dairy commitments to the United States – hampering America’s exports to Canada – while pursuing ways to use its government-controlled system to unfairly dump greater Canadian exports in global markets.”

The Dairy Farmers of Canada, which has previously denounced the complaints as “falsehoods and half-truths,” said Tuesday it was confident the federal government would continue to defend the dairy industry.

The House of Commons is not sitting, with MPs on a constituency break until May 1. The government did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

In a blog posting earlier this month, Dairy Farmers of Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Bouchard said Canada has done nothing to block U.S. imports, and that the predicament is the result of an “over-saturated” market that has led to lower prices.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
    • http://seniorsworldwide.net/
Re: Trump Free Trade and Canadian Dairy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
Milk at Kroger's is roughly $1.99 a gallon..

In Canada you can't buy a gallon of milk, it's 4 litres and is roughly around $5.00

I have never seen an abundance of US dairy products in Canada, I wish there were, maybe this would bring the price down..

I buy  1 dozen eggs at Kroger's for $1.00. You can and will pay maybe close to $1.00 more in other stores.. in Canada 1 dozen is what little under $3.00

The dairy marketing board is a farce, farmers don't get the extra money the middleman does..

Online lee

• Administrator
    • mood Amazed
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:01 AM »
The reason that dairy is cheaper in the USA is the use of hormones to make the cows produce more. Stricter regulations in Canada.

Canadian milk available usually for $3.79 for 4 litres and eggs can be bought for $1.88 dozen so with the exchange there is little reason for cross border shopping for dairy products.

Stay out of Sobeys Ron, and go to No Frills  :lmaf:

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »
Coming back from the USA I stopped at the store, 1 gallon of milk $1.79

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
That's in the U.S. right, not here?   The U.S. dairy industry is heavily subsidized, this is 2010 but I don't think it's changed.  Canada levies steep tariffs under our supply management regime  to protect Canadian dairy farmers from imports. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/for-us-farmers-subsidies-the-best-cash-crop/article4399491/

I do think the U.S. might have a point, but it's darned complicated..
http://globalnews.ca/news/3387606/donald-trump-canadian-dairy/

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
Milk at Kroger's is roughly $1.99 a gallon..

In Canada you can't buy a gallon of milk, it's 4 litres and is roughly around $5.00

I have never seen an abundance of US dairy products in Canada, I wish there were, maybe this would bring the price down..

I buy  1 dozen eggs at Kroger's for $1.00. You can and will pay maybe close to $1.00 more in other stores.. in Canada 1 dozen is what little under $3.00

The dairy marketing board is a farce, farmers don't get the extra money the middleman does..
Monsanto corp. is the middleman here. The corp is nothing but crooked. I believe California has the highest prices for food in America. so why for a state that grows much of American food charges the highest prices?
To buy organic eggs here the price is an average of $5.00/per. Organic farmers have to charge higher prices because they are unsupported by Monsanto corp. So there lies the problem. Corporations running prices in America.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
I would quit eating eggs before I'd pay that price..

What Is Organic, Exactly?

The USDA states that the goal of organic foods and organic farming is to "integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity."

Put simply, if you see the "USDA Organic" or "Certified Organic" seal on your food, the item must have an ingredients list and the contents should be 95% or more certified organic, meaning free of synthetic additives like pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and dyes, and must not be processed using industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering, according to the USDA. The remaining 5% may only be foods or processed with additives on an approved list.

A small backyard garden will give you the same effects.. Look for a local small hobby farm selling brown eggs, now you got organic..

Offline jezz

• mood Creative
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:11:01 AM »

What Is Organic, Exactly?

The USDA states that the goal of organic foods and organic farming is to "integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity."

Put simply, if you see the "USDA Organic" or "Certified Organic" seal on your food, the item must have an ingredients list and the contents should be 95% or more certified organic, meaning free of synthetic additives like pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and dyes, and must not be processed using industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering, according to the USDA. The remaining 5% may only be foods or processed with additives on an approved list.

A small backyard garden will give you the same effects.. Look for a local small hobby farm selling brown eggs, now you got organic..
True enough. Organic means they cannot use chemicals to fertilize, no dyes, no additives. And for meat cattle, they must not be given anything that will make them fat, like antibiotics. All the chemicals to grow food and antibiotics given to cattle/chickens transfer to those who eat it.
They have found that antibiotics in meats cause cancer and obesity. The chemicals, everyone knows is not human consumable, it causes cancer. Yet everyone ignores this.
 I have a small garden, I use only recycled ingredients to fertilize the soil. But it's not big enough to sustain all the veggies we eat for the year. We stick with shopping the farmers markets during the growing season.
I hear though the fruit growers have trouble producing a mass amount without sprays. So there isn't an abundance of organic fruits around.
I can't say I'm 100% or even 90% an organic only eater, but I do try to stick with organics.
Many of the big food producers now have and organic version, no additives. The prices are starting to reduce some. With more and more people eating healthier those prices will continue to decrease. That's good news for the organic market.
Read your labels, they're many big food producers who use only simple ingredients. That's what I choose to eat.

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
It's complicated but I don't understand what Monsanto has to do with dairy and free trade?  I know they don't like the labelling of hormone free products, which should be labelled IMO.   I know nothing about Canada dropping dairy prices, we sure haven't seen a drop.

I don't know much about this but Canada is being blamed for the Wisconsin dairy problem
http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2017/04/15/wisconsin-dairy-farmers-caught-canada-trade-flap-scramble-answers/100484836/

The company, based in Greenwood, said it was dropping the farms because it lost millions of dollars in business in a trade dispute with Canada
snip
Grassland blamed the loss in business on the Canadian dairy industry changing its pricing policies, to the detriment of milk imported from Wisconsin and New York.

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
I believe Monsanto supplies the IMO for the dairy farmers..

Dairy farms in Minnesota and New York are also affected by the loss of Canadian business, and Grassland isn’t the only processor shut out of Canada.

This is all I can see.. I recall back maybe a year ago, about the dairy farmers saying that the milk prices were going to be around $4.00 per gallon range on the shelf.

At issue are changes in Canadian policy that make it harder for U.S. dairy processors — such as Grassland Dairy Products of Greenwood — to sell ultra-filtered milk, used to make cheese, in Canada.

The policies are “choking off sales of American milk to the detriment of U.S. dairy farmers,” said Tom Vilsack, former U.S. Agriculture Secretary and now president of the U.S. Dairy Export Council.

Grassland notified about 75 Wisconsin farms that as of May 1, it is canceling their contracts because it has lost its Canadian business.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2017/04/11/canada-says-dont-blame-wisconsin-dairy-woes/100346214/

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
Sheez...    all I know is we pay a helluva lot more than we should...

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »
Sheez...    all I know is we pay a helluva lot more than we should...

We pay because of a Dairy Marketing board that was setup years ago to control the prices, and make sure the farmers got there profits..

Offline Wild Bill

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »
Ron, I have many farmer friends who tell me they DON'T get the benefit of the higher prices! The wholesalers in the middle get it all!

Once again, the urban Harrowsmith idea of what goes on in a farmer's life is a total myth!

Wild Bill

Offline Ronald

• Administrator
    • mood Energetic
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:46 AM »
Ron, I have many farmer friends who tell me they DON'T get the benefit of the higher prices! The wholesalers in the middle get it all!

Once again, the urban Harrowsmith idea of what goes on in a farmer's life is a total myth!

Wild Bill

Your correct on this Bill, I forgot about that middleman..Good article here about the Board:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadas-dairy-industry-is-a-rich-closed-club/article25124114/

The Dairy Board is a crown corp.:  http://www.cdc-ccl.gc.ca/CDC/index-eng.php

If I am not mistaken I blieve Eugene Whelan had something to do with setting this board up..He was  Minister of Agriculture at this time..

During his time as Minister, he promoted the extension of national marketing boards — first implemented with the creation of the Canadian Dairy Commission in 1970 — to eggs in 1972, turkey in 1974, and chicken in 1978,[12] which were placed under the supervision of the National Farm Products Council. For those commodities not under supply management, he fought to maintain a level playing field in world markets at a time of heavy subsidization in other countries. He was successful in getting the Canadian government to increase its support for farmers, through amendments to the Agricultural Stabilization Act[13][14] and the introduction of the Western Grain Stabilization Act.[12][14][15] In 1977, the Advance Payments for Crops Act was passed,[16] which guaranteed loans to producers requiring advance payments for perishable crops. He opened markets in the Soviet Union for Canadian wheat, and established legislation to protect fruit and vegetable growers from processor bankruptcies.[10] He also restricted the powers of the Canadian Wheat Board, allowing private-sector feed grain trading and interprovincial movement of feed.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Whelan

Whelan was elected by the farmers around Essex County, he mad a lot of promises to help the farmer..I think maybe he did more harm than good..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:06:52 AM by Ronald »

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
The Liberals will never get rid of the dairy marketing board.   Remember the moaning and groaning when the conservatives got rid of the wheat board...   the world hasn't ended.

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:10:30 AM »
Well, Trump has now slapped a tariff on softwood lumber which is actually retroactive by 90 days,  which will hurt U.S. consumers and  trade in general. 

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/canada-vows-to-fight-unfair-and-punitive-duty-as-trump-slaps-20-tariff-on-softwood-lumber

SWW Information

Come on hop onboard!

Cookie Policy ~ Copyright Policy ~ Forum Rules ~ SWW BBCodes ~ Contact Us

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included. © 2015 ~ 2017 seniorsworldwide.net All rights reserved.

* Recent Posts

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by lee
[Today at 03:32:12 PM]

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by Selena
[Today at 03:12:45 PM]

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by Selena
[Today at 03:06:23 PM]

Re: Limericks by lee
[Today at 02:59:18 PM]

Re: Do You Refrigerate Your Butter? by lee
[Today at 02:55:07 PM]