collapse

* Welcome Guest

photo little flower_01.png ~ Instead of just visiting and browsing the site why not sign up as a member?, it's absolutely free and you will never get spam or junk e-mail as we never sell or give out your details! Take a moment to join the forum and become a member of the community and enjoy all the benefits that come with it! Click the title "Welcome guests" or "Register" on the forum menu bar to register!

Author Topic: Refilling cartridges.  (Read 63 times)

Offline Campy

• VIP
    • mood none
Refilling cartridges.
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
Printer cartridges are awfully expensive for the number of pages you get.

I refill my black cartridge and rarely print color. But the printer won't work at all if it shows empty even if the cartridge is full. It goes by the chip and the pages printed.

I was surprised to find a tip to reset the chip and even more surprised that it worked.

I'm wondering if you set your printer to fast draft if that counts as a page.

I have two printers. One of them uses color even when printing black cartridge only and the color cartridges are expensive.

'This isn't getting anything done'. D. Preston

Offline islandgrl

• mood Lurking
Re: Refilling cartridges.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:06:07 AM »
I used to have a printer that used cartridges and gave that up for a black and white lazer printer.  It uses a large toner cartridge which can make over 5000 copies.  No clogged heads and no problems so far.  It's nice to make coloured copies but I can do without that.  I was warned about the damage refilling cartridges can do to my printer so that was my reason for switching.
The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.

Offline Campy

• VIP
    • mood none
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »
If I was printing a lot like I used to when doing tax returns my choice would be a lazer printer black and white only.

In the meantime, I now can print economically with the printer I resurrected.

The only thing I miss is the wireless feature. 

As far as color prints go.  I think it's cheaper to download them on a flash drive and print them out at the drug store.

Offline Ronald

• Owner
  • VIP
  • Administrator
    • mood Energetic
    • http://seniorsworldwide.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
At one time I did a lot of print outs.. I always bought the HP cartridges.

The other day I had to get a new printer, and it said the ink cartridges were not included, so I went onto E Bay and got a twin pack of HP ink for $17.00 with free delivery..

When the new printer arrived and while I was installing it I found two HP ink cartridges inside the printer, so I installed them and a pop up showed, congratulating my for using original HP ink cartridges, I was to click the link for a free gift, but dam link would not open..

Never did like the refill  types, tried them once and it was a mess..

Offline Campy

• VIP
    • mood none
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
When I was working in business the printers were all ribbon types. Huge things.  IBM.  Big, big, big.  Took up half a room and hot.

They only printed on half the ribbon so I would just flip the ribbon over. 

But boy were they fast.   When they installed the system, they turned it on and invited anyone to try it out and fool around.

When I went into the printer room there was tons of printouts laying on the floor.

The guys were just hitting every key in sight.

They all whined when we installed the system and whenever the system went down they whined like crazy to get it going again.

I would just tell them to go back to the old method of looking up the prices in the books like they used to.

I found out later why they didn't want the computer.  They were stealing stuff out of inventory.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:29:50 AM by Campy »

Offline Campy

• VIP
    • mood none
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
Ron. What printer did you buy?  Which printer did you get rid of?

I'm always in the market for a printer.

And I'm cheap.  Always looking for the most economical in everything.

A friend of mine just got one from the Superstore for $29.00.

He told me it wasn't working.  I went over to his place and he hadn't installed it.  Just plugged it in. 

He might print out one or two pages a month.

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
They make their money on the ink cartridges, printers themselves are cheap.
I've never refilled them myself but buy the refilled type on ebay.  However, I'm taking a chance as it's an HP printer which more often than not rejects them because they are not the real McCoy.   Fortunately I don't pay much for them so it's not much of a loss, but this time I bought some cheaper HP cartridges from Best Buy, ink for dummies or something, it's giving me grief on them also.   Keeps flashing that they are empty so I keep re-seating them, then having align them again, it's a real pain.   I do print stuff out for art work so need the colour.    I have uploaded pics to Walmart if there are more than one or two.   

I have a wireless Canon printer down south which I will bring home with me next year, it uses 4 cartridges, 3 colours and black but doesn't reject refilled cartridges.  I bought a bunch of them really cheap on Ebay a couple of years ago so will buy some more next year to take home. 

Offline foreveramber

• Administrator
    • mood Musical
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:34 AM »
When I had an Apple computer (not a Mac) I had an Apple Imagewriter dot matrix printer that of course used the ribbon.  I had a re-inking kit that I used to re-ink the ribbon, a bit messy but cheaper.

Offline Ronald

• Owner
  • VIP
  • Administrator
    • mood Energetic
    • http://seniorsworldwide.net/
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »
Ron. What printer did you buy?  Which printer did you get rid of?

I'm always in the market for a printer.

And I'm cheap.  Always looking for the most economical in everything.

A friend of mine just got one from the Superstore for $29.00.

He told me it wasn't working.  I went over to his place and he hadn't installed it.  Just plugged it in. 

He might print out one or two pages a month.

I got rid of an older 4500 series all in one, all it did when trying to print was give me a paper jam error and just sit there and make jumping noises.. Took it apart and no paper jam, I think the gears were gone..

I picked up a new HP HP DeskJet 2130 F5S40A Compact All-in-One Photo Printer for $39.99 usd, works out almost the same price as Canada..

I have two all in ones in my shed in Canada, 1 is very old probably 20 years take a black and colour cartridge, and very heavy all in one.. the other is a couple years old it also is HP but this one takes about 6 cartridges..and prints very little..

Offline Campy

• VIP
    • mood none
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:15 AM »
Mine is doing that now on certain things like copies where it starts jumping at the end.

I just push the cancel button and it finishes.

I think there are plastic gears in those printers and the teeth go missing.  Impossible to fix.  I won't take it apart.  Just put up with it as part of the process.

It's an F335 Hewlett Packard and not wireless.  I'll just spring for a new one one of these days when I'm flush and don't need car repairs.

SWW Information

Come on hop onboard!

Cookie Policy ~ Copyright Policy ~ Forum Rules ~ SWW BBCodes ~ Contact Us

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included. © 2015 ~ 2017 seniorsworldwide.net All rights reserved.
DMCA.com Protection Status

* Recent Posts

Re: Little Gadgets by Phillip
[Today at 05:34:19 PM]

Re: 18 April 2017 Asparagus by Durgan
[Today at 05:20:56 PM]

Re: Make Four Words by Phillip
[Today at 05:05:43 PM]

Re: Blind Date by Phillip
[Today at 04:58:24 PM]

Re: 24 May 2017 Natto by Durgan
[Today at 04:52:31 PM]